The College Success Foundation is thrilled to announce their two summer programs, the Achievers College Experience (ACE) and Make it Happen! (MIH) that are now registering participants to represent their schools.
ACE takes place at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma from June 25-27, 2013. They anticipate 400 students representing the high school graduating class of 2014 from the Tacoma, Seattle, Highline and Yakima school districts. Your institution will have the opportunity to connect with a diverse group of students who are eager to find the right college for them.
MIH takes place at Central Washington University in Ellensburg from July 9-12, 2013. They anticipate 40 youth currently in foster care representing the high school graduating classes of 2014 and 2015 from schools throughout Washington state. They will all be learning about the vast financial aid resources available to attend college and will be working to identify the college that is right for them.
For more details about these events, please visit our website.
Each event will feature a college fair and we are looking for professionals to represent their institution or organization at each event. The College Success Foundation is also looking for representatives to facilitate a number of workshops.
If you are interested in representing your institution at either of these events, please click here to learn more and to register.
If you have any questions please contact:
ACE: Sophia Fong, email@example.com
MIH: Aubrey Mathwig, MIH@collegesuccessfoundation.org
For those of you that work with youth between the ages of 13 to 25 who have experienced foster care, out of home placement or homelessness, The Mockingbird Society’s mission is to advocate for systems reform based on the personal experiences of children, youth, and families impacted by the foster care system. There is a Tacoma Mockingbird chapter and The Mockingbird Society has several upcoming events.
All activities are open to young people age 13 up to 25 who have experienced foster care, out of home placement or homelessness:
- Tacoma area Mockingbird chapter meeting- April 24th 3-5pm at Pierce County Alliance in the IL workshop room. They will be discussing ideas for improving foster care and the advocacy agenda for the next year.
- Tacoma area Mockingbird Chapter Meeting- May 8th at Pierce County Alliance. They will be finalizing what topic to advocate for
- Tacoma area Mockingbird Chapter Meeting- June 12th at Pierce County Alliance. They will be creating a presentation on the foster care reform topic to be presented at the Leadership Summit.
- Foster Youth and Alumni Leadership Summit – June 24th to 26th at Seattle University. The Summit is free. Application deadline has been extended to May 10th. Apply on line at their website. Here is the application overview and the outreach letter.
- They are also always looking for people interested in writing for the Mockingbird Times or for their on line content.
- Happy to help youth with their applications to the Leadership Summit or with submitting writing to be published.
For more information check out their website or contact:
Selona Willett |Engagement Specialist Tacoma/Olympia
Tacoma – Pierce County Alliance
510 Tacoma Ave S, Tacoma, WA 98402
Free Workshop: Improve the design of your existing or future youth gardens.
Participants will learn basic design principles for a youth garden. Examples will be shared as well as time to plan what your next steps will be for your garden. Master Gardeners will also be on hand to support your planning. This is the feature workshop for the Youth and School Garden Coalition. Please come network and learn among side passionate youth garden enthusiasts. We do it all for our youth to have powerful experiences and learning in the garden.
WHAT: Youth Garden Coalition Meeting
WHEN: Tuesday, May 28th, starting at 5:15pm-7pm
WHERE: WSU Pierce County Extension Office – 3602 Pacific Ave, Tacoma
(Back of building)
DETAILS: Networking and workshop on Site design.
RSVP: Brian Brandt firstname.lastname@example.org or
Nicole Martini email@example.com 253-798-3264
Looking forward to seeing friends old and new for networking, mingling, resource sharing, and FREE FOOD @ the WSU Pierce Extension Office.